Training at Ternopil State medical Institute was inaugurated on September 1, 1957 by the resolution of the Ukrainian government of April 12, 1957. In the city that had been almost completely destroyed during the World War II and just began raising from the ruins, it was the first higher educational establishment.
The cooperation of clinical departments and practitioners of the municipal medical institutions, which provide the clinical basis, is in progress. High-skilled professors, associate professors and teachers, involved in practical medical activity, contribute much to rendering proper medical aid to the population of the city and the region. On January 1, 2010, in compliance with the Agreement, specifying all the cooperation aspects, the University Hospital was established on the base of the Regional Clinical Hospital. It is likely to become the best-equipped specialized medical and consultative institution owing to the state, regional and University financing.
As resulting from the activity rating and the state testing “Krok” (“Step”) system, the University is always ranking high among the higher medical educational institutions of Ukraine.